Software Engineer (Remote, US timezone)
We're looking for an engineer to join our team. We've a wonderful set of clients and designers, and have lots of opportunity to grow faster: we need you to help make it happen!
Howdy! Welcome to SketchDeck!
We're a design agency-meets-tech startup. Every day we create hundreds of designs for companies you know and love. At the heart of what we do is a tech platform that brings together designers, project managers, quality control people and clients into a big creative dance - this platform is what helps us grow quickly, and what we need your help to grow.
We're looking to hire a mid-level engineer to expand our team and help manage others. You will work directly to the CEO and Head of Operations, and have a high degree of autonomy and freedom to choose what to work on. This is a unique opportunity to have a real impact on a growing technology startup.
You can read more about what our engineering team are up to on our blog.
You must work in a US timezone (e.g. between PST and EST) so that you have plenty of working time that overlaps with your colleagues.
- Release, improve and maintain new parts of our platform
- Work on the full stack
- Improve our infrastructure (e.g. our AWS ecosystem, our databases and servers)
- Propose new features, incorporate user feedback, write and release those features (you can collaborate with designers for the UX)
- Help users when they have problems
- Have at least three years experience in software development
- Know how to deliver software quickly in a startup environment
- Communicate well and be happy talking to users
We are a growing, global team working to improve design. Our goal is ambitious. Our values guide how we should be, so we we can achieve our mission whilst building an enduring and welcoming culture. At SketchDeck, each of us:
- Help each other succeed & grow.
- Achieve ambitious outcomes.
- Take responsibility.
- Share progress honestly.
- Are approachable & friendly.
Some reasons to work at SketchDeck:
- We design beautiful things all day long, and get excited about design - it's a fun thing to make happen via a tech platform
- Graphic designers are the nicest funnest people to work with
- Everyone here is really good at what they do and great to work with. No ego, no awkwardness, just a ton of team love
- We have a cute office dog
- Delivering great creative design at mass scale is a hard and fun problem to solve
- We're growing fast
Our team out for dinner in Sunnyvale
More concretely, we offer lots of great stuff:
- Annual company retreat to somewhere fun
- Delicious lunch
- Lots of coffee, tea, snacks and Soylent
- Competitive stock options
- The team has a wealth of experience you can learn from
- Generous holiday policy
- Tech-team outings
- Free SketchDeck design projects for your important events
- Beautiful SketchDeck designed swag (designer t-shirts, moleskins and more)
- Shiny Apple hardware
In case you wondered, here is our tech stack:
- AWS, including:
- Elastic beanstalks running Docker images
- Simple Queue System
- RDS (MySQL)
- Coffeescript running on Client and NodeJS
- Jade, Less
- We have a range of different servers:
- Webservers running RPC and serving a single page web app
- Kafka workers moving data to secondary stores and running micro-services
- API servers
- SQS workers running small jobs